Lawmakers on both sides of aisle question John Bolton’s new book
UPDATED 12:54 PM PT — Tuesday, June 23, 2020
Former National Security adviser John Bolton officially released his new memoir and lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have said it’s just a money grab.
The president slammed Bolton’s new book, titled “The Room Where it Happened,” as illegal while taking to Twitter Tuesday morning. He said his former adviser should be behind bars. President Trump noted that Bolton should also have his money seized for “disseminating for profit highly classified information.”
Bolton said the memoir, which became available to the public Tuesday, is made up of real situations and conversations that took place during his time with the administration.
“I don’t think he’s fit for office,” stated the former adviser in reference to the president. “I don’t think he has the competence to carry out the job.”
It also alleges wrong doing by the President, Trump, but the president and his team have slammed the book for its alleged inaccuracies.
“John Bolton has completely discredited himself,” stated Kayleigh McEnany, White House Press Secretary. “Multiple senior administration officials are on the record exposing his lies, and even the media seems to have taken note of John Bolton and how ridiculous some of the things he’s said.”
Meanwhile, Democrats are also slamming the book and question its intentions as Bolton had refused to testify on the alleged misconduct during the Senate impeachment trials. Last week, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said it was because Bolton chose money over serving his country.
“President Trump is clearly, ethically unfit and intellectually unprepared to be the president of the United States,” she claimed. “That doesn’t seem to matter to the Republicans in the United States Senate…it didn’t seem to matter to John Bolton…he chose royalty over, not over patriotism.”
The book was initially set to be released back in March, but the White House postponed its release after suggesting the book’s content needed to be reviewed to ensure no critical information was being released.
The White House tried to stop its publication all together last week, but a judge ruled the damage had already been done as thousands of copies have already been sent out to reporters and media outlets.
Meanwhile, the judge noted the government could be entitled to Bolton’s $2 million advance for allowing his memoir to be published before the completion of the Department of Justice’s review.